Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bees are buzzing

We went to the Yadkin County Beekeepers meeting this week. All the local bee folks are a buzz with how many new hives they're setting up this year, what's blooming and how busy the bees already are.

Our honey customers have been getting concerned about dwindling supplies from last season, so that contributes to our excitement.

Angie Hauser made a nice presentation with materials from N.C. State University that will help local beekeepers respond to "killer bee" questions that fortunately do not arise quite as often among beekeepers as spitting questions do for llama owners. (Yes, we have llamas on this farm too, as well as angora rabbits, chickens, two dogs and a crazy cat.) Put your minds at ease for the moment, there's no official record of killer bees in North Carolina.

I grew up watching my father and grandfather work bees from the safety of our house. After Pa died, Dad quit working with them. A few years ago, he came to the barn at feeding time and said he was thinking about setting up a hive of bees again.

My husband, Mark, and I told him we had some interest in bees too, and a plan was put into action. That was on a Tuesday. When I got home from work the next day, I noticed something that appeared to be a disease on my Japanese maple. A closer look revealed it was a swarm of bees. (Whew! I couldn't believe I had not noticed some kind of plant funk that could have become that large.)

I ran through the yard, as best as a woman can in heels, waving my arms at my husband who was mowing. He finally stopped to see what I was going nuts about this time. Yep, that's not a scene that's all that unusual to him (maybe we'll share more on this later). He came and admired the swarm hanging from the lower limb of this small tree.

I picked up speed again as I ran into the house to call Pop. He didn't have a hive ready, but called a neighbor who did and was willing to sell him one. Mark, Mom and I kept our eyes on the swarm as Pop went to get the hive.

It had been years since I saw someone handle bees. Dad (aka Pop) put a scrap of carpet on the ground under the swarm. Then, he put the hive on it. Using a soft bee brush, he gently brushed the swam downward near the entrance to the hive. Dad identified the queen in short order and told us if she went into the hive, we'd be good to go. In just a few minutes, the bees began to fly into the hive - following that queen. It was pretty amazing to witness.

A couple of hours later, when all the bees were cozy inside their new home, Mark and Dad transported the hive from our front yard to their new location. Dad was very pleased. He did a little jig in the front yard. It was one of those magical, unforgettable farm day memories.



First attempt at blogging. Patience please ;)

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a minute to read this. It looks good. I wonder if I would get thrown out of the neighborhood if I had Pop bring a hive to my backyard. We rarely see honeybees here. I have to depend on the bumblebees to get all the work done.

    ReplyDelete